Thursday 16 October 2008

Stage 4

Stage 4 – Monday 13th October



Todays stage was 39km; not far off the combined distance of stages 1 & 2. Due to a large proportion of the run being on community trails rather than in the jungle, I was back at camp shortly after 1pm. (following a 6am start).

The stage also included a 200m swim across the river. Fortunately I don't believe anyone got deaded by piranhas, anacondas, caimans etc during this time.

My feet are still fairly immaculate but my shoulders (one in particular) were really aching from the weight of the pack today. This situation was helped, however, by a massage and a rekindled friendship with Mr I Buprofen, who I plan to stay on speaking terms with until the end of the race – where I will promptly reacquaint myself with Jack of Daniels and get ye sh** faced.

Tomorrow sees the start of the horrific Stage 5.

"Watch the piranhas and caimans on the water crossing, and the dense population of jaguars in the vicinity of CP4. Face the steepest of climbs and sharpest of descents, and if you make it out of the forest alive, you can enjoy 40km on community trails"

Over 90km of distance varying in altitude between sea level and 200m – often over a very short distance. Don't expect another update until Wednesday day time at the earliest.

Cheers,
JQ

No comments: